Friday, September 21, 2012

Goodbye Sugah!

Hey y'all! Happy FRIDAY!!! Lina here and I have a fun post for you all today...

First...More Tough Mudder Pics!!
 Happily Frolicking Through the Mud
 The couple that completely submerges themselves in ice water together, 
stays together right?
 After resurrecting myself from beneath the hay bales, 
I got a smart shock on the tush that propelled me to the finish line...
Scott making his way through some serious mud

We'll be on the look-out for some more in the "lost and found" bin on the site too!

Next item on the agenda...An Announcement! I, Lina, am on day 1 of a 21 day sugar detox. Scott's out on this one, he doesn't have a sweet tooth issue like I do.

What's a sugar detox all about? Well, it's an opportunity to look my sugar cravings smack in the face and say NO! NO I don't need the extra insulin right now helping me to store energy,  NO I don't need the high and the crash, and NO my liver cannot come out and play right now, it needs a break from your hot mess self! - Oh and there's also a YES...YES I'd like to tap into my already existing energy stores (read: fat cells) for energy and become a lean, mean, fat burning machine with consistently high levels of energy.

Easier said than done? We'll just have to see. In the meantime, I will be following a strict Paleo protocol while keeping my carbohydrate intake to around 50g-100g per day. No fruit, no sugar, no gum/mints/fake sugar, and very limited starchy vegetables (like squash and sweet potatoes). Starchy carbs will only be consumed post mind-blowing workout :)

So what's left to eat, you ask? LOTS!! Quality meat, poultry, seafood, eggs, vegetables, and healthy fats like avocado (technically a fruit but doesn't count :p), coconut milk, coconut butter, and butter!! These are all my favorite foods anyway, that nourish and satisfy my body and provide me with ample amounts of energy...umm oh yeah...they area all SO DELICIOUS !!!

Trader Joe's Kobe Beef Burger (frozen section. buy it. trust us on this one.)
with sauteed asparagus and baby portabello mushrooms

So over the next 21 days, assume that you'll be hearing a lot from me...and we will be sharing a lot more savory recipes. In the works for couple of week -- a chicken curry soup, chili, and possibly some meat balls!!!

Anywho, what better way to kick-off a NO SUGAR challenge than by posting one last dessert recipe!

Enjoy!

Choco Bites - adapted from Clothes Make the Girl
Ingredients
* 1 box pitted dates (approximately 30 dates)
* 2 cups raw pecans
* 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
* 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
* 1 tbsp raw honey (optional for added sweetness)
* 2 tsp vanilla extract
* Dash of salt

Directions
* Food process pecans. We want them in small pieces, not turned into sawdust or paste
* Place food processed pecans into a mixing bowl
* Food process pitted dates, cocoa powder, honey, vanilla, and salt
* Pour mixture in with the pecans and combine
* Add shredded coconut and combine
* Roll into balls and place onto wax paper
* Refrigerate until serving.

Note: you can eat them right away, but I think they taste better after they've spent at least a few hours chillin' in the fridge.

And that my friends, is the last dessert recipe for 20 more days...ENJOY!

~Lina

No comments:

Post a Comment