The stretch between lunch and dinner can sometimes feel a little long (well, it almost always feels that way to me), especially on days that I work out in the early AM and my metabolism is still revved up from my workout. On these days at around 3-4PM I'm usually left looking for something to get me through until dinner.
A quick fix that we've recently come up with is just a twist on the ol' reliable protein shake. Ideally, when choosing a snack, you want something with both protein AND healthy fats -- that killer combo is what actually satiates you and doesn't take you for a ride on the blood sugar roller coaster. The protein was easy, as protein powder is readily available, but what's really good fat source to add to the mix? The answer....coconut milk.
Aside from its amazing taste and creamy texture, coconut is a GREAT source of energy! It actually consists of medium chain triglycerides (MCTs), that break down a little bit quicker and give you a similar buzz that carbs would give you except the buzz sustains itself A LOT longer so you end up with more stable energy. Win - Win -Win.
Coconut Milk Protein Shake
* 7 oz Trader Joe's Light Coconut Milk (they don't sell anything other than the light, or we'd use it)
* One scoop 100% Egg White Protein Powder - we really dig this brand because it's free from synthetic crap and actually tastes good. The ingredients literally are egg protein, some digestive enzymes (papain and bromlain) to help with the assimilation of said protein, energized with bee pollen, and it's stevia sweetened - that's it. Definitely doesn't give you a bloated feeling!
Making a shake is pretty self explanatory, but I have found that it mixes together best this way:
1) Add the protein to about 5 oz of water and stir until blended
2) Next, stir in the coconut milk
3) Savor this indulgent snack
The end result is a filling afternoon snack packed with the protein and fat to get you through the rest of the day.
Let us know what you think!